There are four seasons to a year, and generally we experience them all dramatically in New England. Summer’s too humid, Winter’s too treacherous, and Spring’s too allergenic. Fall doesn’t have an underlying irritant, therefore Fall reigns in my seasonal hierarchy.
From the beautifully changing colors, to that cozy “in-between” sweater weather, to flavors and scents that intoxicate us with warmth — Fall is a force to be reckoned with by the other sorry 9 months of our calendar year.
To celebrate truly the most wonderful time of the year, here is my fall bucket list (some of which I’ve already completed):
Go apple picking. Hoard apple cider and cider donuts in the home.
- Bake a bunch of yummy treats with said apples.
- Drink pumpkin spice lattes and coffee repeatedly.
- Watch Hocus Pocus. More than once.
- Take a few scenic drives around New England.
- Have a Croc Pot cooking marathon all month.
- Make warm, boozy concoctions for nights in.
- Dress up the cats for Halloween.
- Eat lots of squash in varying forms.
Embrace fall fashion; plaid, boots, hoodies, deep colors.
- Enjoy walks during lunch and after work in the most perfect temperature.
- Watch 5 horror movies I’ve never seen and a bunch of classics.
Hoard fall-scented candles and revel in their perfect aromas.
- Start reintroducing beanies and knit hats to the wardrobe.
- Go to a haunt even though I am the most petrified.
- Have a Walking Dead premiere viewing event.
- Pair scarves with every outfit possible.
- Carve pumpkins (and give to someone who has an actual yard).
- Roast the pumpkin seeds and become instantly happy.
Relish in the fact that fall “witch” makeup is so in right now. Give me all the crimson and black. Wear fuzzy socks and squish my toes in them because SO SOFT.
- Visit many of the Salem Haunted Happenings attractions.
- Go to a Rocky Horror live audience showing (even though I am a live show virgin and will probably get hazed).
- Go to Topsfield Fair for the first time in many years.
- Eat a turkey leg because, fair foods.
- Read a book under my new cable knit blanket.
- Sit outside by the fire with a beer and friends.
- Celebrate Dan’s Halloween birthday however his heart desires.
- Top my fall-inspired birthday desserts from year’s past.
- Photograph everything and look back when Fall is over.
To help keep me on track, I’ve found this awesome photo-a-day challenge for October that I’ll participate in on my Instagram page.
I look forward to enjoying my favorite season with family and friends. A gallery of all my memories is sure to follow. ☪